Friday, August 28, 2009

Epidemiology Shingles

Most current estimates of the epidemiology and burden of herpes zoster and PHN come from studies in Europe and the USA. The reported incidence of herpes zoster in these regions varies from 1.3 to 4.8/1000 patients/year, and this rate increases sharply with age, with a 2- to 4-fold increase in those aged >60 years.

The incidence rate of herpes zoster ranges from 1.2 to 3.4 per 1,000 person-years among healthy individuals, increasing to 3.9–11.8 per 1,000 person‐years among those older than 65 years.Similar incidence rates have been observed worldwide. Herpes zoster develops in an estimated 500,000 Americans each year.

United States

A study of patients in a large health maintenance organization (HMO) in the United States revealed 1075 cases from 1990-1992.1 The following characteristics were noted:

  • Incidence was 215 cases per 100,000 people per year.
  • Older patients were more at risk (1424 cases per 100,000 people per year for age >75 y).
  • Fewer than 5% of cases were in children and younger adolescents.
  • Three of 4 patients with recurrent zoster were HIV positive.

Over 90 percent of adults in the United States have serologic evidence of varicella–zoster virus infection and are at risk for herpes zoster.2 The annualized incidence of herpes zoster is about 1.5 to 3.0 cases per 1000 persons.3,4 An incidence of 2.0 cases per 1000 persons would translate into more than 500,000 cases annually in the United States. Increasing age is a key risk factor for the development of herpes zoster; the incidence of shingles among persons older than 75 years of age exceeds 10 cases per 1000 person-years.3 The lifetime risk of herpes zoster is estimated to be 10 to 20 percent.4

2 comments:

selles said...

It’s a miracle that I am alive today. I encounter herpes virus for good four (4) years, six (6) months and twelve (12) day with my calculations, before I meet the great Dr. ODUWA. I am LEOKADIA STELLA Fresno California, united state of America and I was affected with herpes virus. Herpes is a viral infection cause by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blister in the skin or mucous membrane or on the genitals. This was what I suffered for good four years. I have visited CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for treatment but no improvement. I meet Dr. ODUWA online while I was searching for herpes cure I read a testimony about his work. I give a try that now becomes a testimony in my life. I contacted Dr. ODUWA via his E-mail (DR.ODUWASPELLHOME@GMAIL .COM) and he did not responds to me in time and I went back to the same testimony for his mobile number and I called him immediately (+2348070685053) and he respond to my call. He welcome me as a daughter and I explain my four years situation to him and he said is done just as I have contacted him and I believed in him. Dr. ODUWA sends me some herbal medication for herpes cure and he gave me instruction on what to do and I obeyed his instruction. Changes started after three days of applying the herbal medication. I went to the same CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for test and i was herpes negative. I do not know how to thanks Dr. ODUWA for saving my life. To God be the Glory, I am living healthy with my family today.

Indeed, Dr. ODUWA is a great man

and the only thing he requested from me is to share my Testimony for the world to see for a safe living from herpes viral disease and just as I did.

God bless Dr. ODUWA for his good work....

neme amber said...

Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).
I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.
i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.
i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!
after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!
i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!
its really like a dream but i am so happy!
thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!
and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348140073965
I,m neme amber and you can get intouch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..

Post a Comment